Indian cooking, while renowned for its aroma & taste also comes with greasy cabinets and kitchen tiles. This is because Indian cooking involves a lot of frying & grilling.
Kitchen chimneys are appliances that absorb smoke & fumes from the kitchen and keep the kitchen grease & smoke free.
Factors to consider when buying a chimney
- Wall Mounted: Chimneys is fitted against the wall. These are designed for traditional kitchens where stove is located near the wall. There is minimal ducting/pipes required.
- Ceiling Mounted / Island Chimneys: Chimney is fitted in the centre of the kitchen. These are designed for modern island shaped kitchens where stove is located in the centere. There is substantial ducting/pipes required.
- Auto Clean Chimneys : When the cimney is working, the coil that cover the motor gets heated up for 15 to 20 mins. The oil gets liquidized and is let out. The chimney stops after auto cleaning itself.
- Ductless Chimneys : Unlike a ducted chimney, which vents air to the outside, a ductless chimney consists of a fan (or a blower, motor) with a charcoal filter that sucks up grease particles heat, smells, and smoke, filters it, and then recirculates it back into the kitchen. This is specially useful when there is no exit vent from the kitchen.
Box Type Chimney
Curved Glass Chimney
Straight Glass Chimney
4. Filter Type
The type & filter surface area determines the quality of filtration. Typically, higher number of filters indicate higher surface area.
- Mesh/Cassette Filter : Layers of Aluminum mesh overlapping each other. When the air passes through the filter, oil and grime adhere to the layers. The pores get clogged very soon and affects the performance of the chimney. Requires cleaning every fortnight.
- Maintenance : Warm Soapy Water/detergent. Can be Cleaned in dishwasher. Cleaning is easier than baffle filters.
- Baffle Filter : Layers of steel/aluminum are overlapped in a fashion which changes the direction of air flow. It uses the 'cut and chop' technology to separate oil and spices from the smoke. The suction power gets hardly affected even if the oil gets collected in the first layer. Perfect for indian style of cooking.
- Maintenance : Needs celaning once in 5-6 months. Gets rusted with use. Some modles have easy removal while others require a technician. The filters need change in 4-5 years.
- Charcoal Filters : They are primarily used for odor absorption. It has a block with charcoal granules. The absorption capacity depends upon the thickness of filter and size of charcoal granules. It is used in ductless chimneys.
- Maintenance : Needs periodical replacement 3-6 months. It cannot be washed.
Advanced features of Kitchen Chimneys
- Auto heat sensor : It detects heats and oil particles and automatically switches on and off.
- Indicator/buzzer : They have indicator lamps or alarms for filter cleaning or replacement.